Ambadyachi karam

Ambadyachi karam( hogplum chutney):



In olden days hogplum tree was grown in every goan houses and hogplums were often used in goan homes to prepare their curry, uddamethi, and also used in fish curries to enhance their taste. Now a days you can hardly find these trees in cities, however hogplums are readily available in markets to reach every goan.

On the occassion of Diwali, all goan sarawat houses prepare this ambadyachi karam which is a compulsory dish along with their traditional usli and fau. I had learnt this recipe from my mother, however I liked the taste of the karam prepared by my mother in law. I have shared my mother in laws recipe here for you.

Ingredients:
Hogplums or ambade peeled-5-10
Coconut scraped-1 cup
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Green chillies-3-4
Methi seeds-1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Jaggery as per taste
Oil-1 tsp

Method:
Peel off the skin of ambade/hogplum.


Remove some flakes of peeled ambade as shown in my main image around the chutney bowl and keep.

In a pan add oil and roast green chillies and keep aside. Then roast methi seeds and mustard seeds. Keep aside. Roast scraped  coconut for a little while and then grind roasted coconut with jaggery, salt , roasted green chillies. Then add ambade flakes and grind. At last add roasted methi seeds and roasted mustard seeds and give a single grind.
Please do not add water, ambade flakes itself will give the watery texture to this chutney.
 Remove this chutney in a container and mix remaining seed part of ambade in it.

This chutney goes well with goan rice and Sol kadi.



Thank you for reading my post. Please leave a comment on how did u feel my post, by clicking on the 'enter your comment' section.
If you have any queries on my post,  please feel free to ask and I shall respond to you in 24 hours period.
Thank you

Comments

Popular Posts